Creamy Tomato Soup
This traditional favorite is not only easy to make but chock full of nutrition!
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon quality extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds fresh, ripe Italian tomatoes, chopped (about 6 cups)
8 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked
1 cup soy milk
Salt and black and red pepper to taste
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, basil, or dill, chopped
1. In a large pot, sautÃ© the onions in the olive oil until they are soft, then add the fresh tomatoes and stir until the mixture boils.
2. Remove the dried tomatoes from their soaking water and chop them coarsely. Add them and their soaking water to the pot and cook, stirring to prevent sticking.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the soy milk and season to taste with salt and black and red pepper.
4. Serve in bowls with the chopped green herbs as garnish.
Monounsaturated fat; micronutrients, including lycopene from tomatoes and isoflavones from soy.
8 g total fat (1 g sat)
0 mg cholesterol
30 g carbohydrate
7 g protein
8 g fiber
250 mg sodium
- Recipe reprinted with permission of DrWeil.com