Chef Etienne's Crab-stuffed Chicken
Serves 8 We had this dish on our honeymoon in Montreal. We loved it so much that I wrote the chef to ask for the recipe, and he actually sent it! I served it for our first wedding anniversary and many others since then.
8 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 TBSP + 1 TBSP butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 6-ounce can of crabmeat, drained & flaked
1 3-ounce can of chopped mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup (10) coarsely crumbled saltine crackers
2 TBSP snipped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded process Swiss cheese
1/2 tsp paprika
1. Pound chicken lightly with meat mallet to make cutlets about 1/8 inch thick. Set aside.
2. In saucepan, melt the 3 TBSP butter or margarine; blend in flour.
3. Add milk, chicken broth and wine all at once; cook and stir until mixture thickens and bubbles. Set aside.
4. In skillet, cook onion in the remaining butter until tender but not brown.
5. Stir in crab, mushrooms, cracker crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in 2 TBSP of the sauce.
6. Top each chicken piece with about 1/4 cup of the crab mixture.
7. Fold sides in; roll up. Place, seam side down, in sprayed 12 x 7 inch baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over all.
8. Bake, covered, in 350-degree oven for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
9. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
10. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
NOTE: I used fresh mushrooms and sautéed them with dried onion flakes instead of real onions.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2009 www.VivaDivaCafe.com