May 26, 2009

ATTRIBUTES OF GOD

ATTRIBUTES OF GOD
GOD IS SELF-EXISTENT. One of his attributes is self-existence. This is simply to say (with staggering implications) that God exists because he exists. He is not dependent upon anything or anyone for his thoughts or existence.
(Exo 3:13-15 KJV)
And Moses said unto God,
Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel,
and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you;
and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
{14} And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM:
and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel,
I AM hath sent me unto you.
{15} And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel,
The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac,
and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you:
this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

GOD IS SELF-SUFFICIENT- This attribute is closely connected to the attribute of self-existence, but carries it a step further. This means God has never had in eternity past, nor can ever have in the ages to come, a single need for which his own divine nature has not already provided.

(Psa 50:9-15 KJV)
I will take no bullock out of thy house, nor he goats out of thy folds.
{10} For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
{11} I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.
{12} If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.
{13} Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats?
{14} Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:
{15} And call upon me in the day of trouble:
I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.

GOD IS ETERNAL Eternal (in and beyond time, without beginning or end) - God is eternal. This means God is absolutely free from the tyranny of time. In him there is no past or future, but one always and never-ending present. He is neither conditioned nor confined by time.

(Psa 90:1-2 KJV)
A Prayer of Moses the man of God.
LORD, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.
{2} Before the mountains were brought forth,
or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world,
even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

GOD IS INFINITE. God has no limitations. He is bounded only by his own nature and will.

(1 Kings 8:22, 23, 27)
"And Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the presence of all the congregation of Israel,
and spread forth his hands toward heaven: And he said,
Lord God of Israel, there is no God like thee,
in heaven above, or on earth beneath,
who keepest covenant and mercy with thy servants that walk before thee with all their heart.
But will God indeed dwell on the earth?
behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee;
how much less this house that I have builded?"

(Jeremiah 23:24)
"Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord.
Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord."

GOD IS GRACIOUS- (giving beyond measure, from love). Favorable; kind; benevolent; merciful; disposed to forgive offenses and impart unmerited blessings.

(Exo 34:5-7a KJV)
And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there,
and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
{6} And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed,
The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
{7} Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin,
and that will by no means clear the guilty;

(Exo 33:19 KJV)
And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee,
and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee;
and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, a
nd will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.

(Exo 34:6 KJV)
And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed,
The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering,
and abundant in goodness and truth,

(Psa 103:8-11 KJV)
The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
{9} He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
{10} He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
{11} For as the heaven is high above the earth,
so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.

GOD IS HOLY- (sinless and opposed to sin) - pure in heart, temper or dispositions; free from sin and sinful affections. Applied to God, holy signifies perfectly pure, immaculate and complete in moral character;

(Exo 15:11 KJV)
Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods?
who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

(Psa 145:17-20 KJV)
The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.
{18} The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.
{19} He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him:
he also will hear their cry, and will save them.
{20} The LORD preserveth all them that love him:
but all the wicked will he destroy.

(Lev 19:2 KJV)
Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them,
Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy.

GOD IS IMMUTABLE- (unchanging) -not capable or susceptible of change.

(Mal 3:6a KJV)
For I am the LORD, I change not;

(Psa 102:25-27 KJV)
Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth:
and the heavens are the work of thy hands.
{26} They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea,
all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them,
and they shall be changed:
{27} But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

(Num 23:19 KJV)
God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent:
hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

(Rev 1:8 KJV)
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord,
which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

(Heb 13:8 KJV)
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.


GOD IS JUST-(fair and intent on making justice) -The virtue which consists in giving to every one what is his due;

(Deu 32:3-4 KJV)
Because I will publish the name of the LORD:
ascribe ye greatness unto our God.
{4} He is the Rock, his work is perfect:
for all his ways are judgment:
a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
; ;
(Deu 10:17-21 KJV)
For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords,
a great God, a mighty, and a terrible,
which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
{18} He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow,
and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.
{19} Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.
{20} Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve,
and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name.
{21} He is thy praise, and he is thy God,
that hath done for thee these great and terrible things, which thine eyes have seen.

(Psa 50:1-6 KJV) A Psalm of Asaph.
The mighty God, even the LORD, hath spoken,
and called the earth from the rising of the sun unto the going down thereof.
{2} Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined.
{3} Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence:
a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.
{4} He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people.
{5} Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.
{6} And the heavens shall declare his righteousness:
for God is judge himself. Selah.

(2 Chr 19:7 KJV)
Wherefore now let the fear of the LORD be upon you;
take heed and do it: for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God,
nor respect of persons, nor taking of gifts.

GOD IS MERCIFUL-Merciful (overflowing with compassion). Having or exercising mercy; compassionate; tender; disposed to pity offenders and to forgive their offenses; unwilling to punish for injuries; applied appropriately to God.

(Psa 145:9-12 KJV)
The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
{10} All thy works shall praise thee, O LORD;
and thy saints shall bless thee.
{11} They shall speak of the glory of thy kingdom, and talk of thy power;
{12} To make known to the sons of men his mighty acts,
and the glorious majesty of his kingdom.

(Psa 25:8-14 KJV)
Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.
{9} The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
{10} All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
{11} For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great.
{12} What man is he that feareth the LORD?
him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
{13} His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.
{14} The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him;
and he will show them his covenant.

GOD IS OMNIPOTENT, ALMIGHNTY ( "all powerful", unlimited power) -This means God can do anything if it can be done and if it does not contradict his own nature.

(Gen 17:1b KJV)
I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

(Gen 18:14a KJV)
Is any thing too hard for the LORD?

(Deu 10:17 KJV)
For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords,
a great God, a mighty, and a terrible,
which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

(Dan 4:34-35 KJV)
And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven,
and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High,
and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever,
whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:
{35} And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing:
and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth:
and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

(Heb 7:25 KJV)
Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him,
seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

OMNIPRESENT -The omnipresence of God thus means He is present everywhere with his whole being at the same time, and is aware of everything at all times in every place and in every person's heart.

(Jer 23:24 KJV)
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD.
Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.

(Isa 57:15 KJV)
For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity,
whose name is Holy;
I dwell in the high and holy place,
with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit,
to revive the spirit of the humble,
and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

(Isa 66:1-2 KJV)
Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool:
where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
{2} For all those things hath mine hand made,
and all those things have been, saith the LORD:
but to this man will I look,
even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

GOD IS OMNISCNIENT- God is omniscient (all-knowing). God possesses (without prior discovery of facts) complete and universal knowledge of all things past, present, and future. This includes not only the actual, but also the possible. This total and immediate knowledge is based on his eternity (he has always, and will always exist), and his omnipresence (he has been, is, and will always be everywhere at the same time).

(Josh 22:22a KJV)
The LORD God of gods, the LORD God of gods, he knoweth,

(Psa 17:3 KJV)
Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night;
thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing;
I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.

(Psa 139:1-12 KJV)
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.
O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
{2} Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising,
thou understandest my thought afar off.
{3} Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
{4} For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
{5} Thou hast beset {Heb=besieged) me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
{6} Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
{7} Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
{8} If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there:
if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
{9} If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
{10} Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
{11} If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me;
even the night shall be light about me.
{12} Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day:
the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

For further study, Check out these archives of past devotionals:
(Note: the devotionals may be under the headings of "discussions" "files" or "pages" )
http://groups.google.com/group/ixtheus-devotionals-archive-part-2?msg=new&lnk=gcis&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/ixtheus-devotionals-archive/web?hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/ixtheus-devotionals-archive/web
http://groups.google.com/group/ixtheus-archives-part-3/
http://groups.google.com/group/ixtheus-devotionals-archive-4
IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want.
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions,
or REQUESTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS to ixtheus@execpc.com

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There" from ixtheus@execpc.com

No comments: