Classic Turkey Soup
You and your guests are sure to gobble up this turkey soup. It's the perfect way to put your leftovers to good use. Plus, it's lite as a feather!
- 6 lb. turkey breast with bones (with at least 2 cups of meat)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. Italian pastina or pasta
- Place turkey breast in large 6-quart pot; cover with water until at least three quarters full.
- Peel onions, cut into large pieces, and add to pot; wash celery stalks and carrots, slice, and add to pot.
- Simmer covered for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove carcass from pot and divide soup into smaller, shallower containers for quick cooling in refrigerator.
- After cooling, skim off fat.
- While soup cools, remove remaining meat from turkey carcass and cut into pieces.
- Add turkey meat to skimmed soup, along with herbs and spices.
- Bring to boil and add pastina; continue cooking on low boil for about 20 minutes, until pastina is done. Serve at once or refrigerate for later reheating.