Mediterranean Tuna Steaks
The Mediterranean flavors of the colorful topping in this recipe are a perfect complement to the flavor and firm texture of the fish. A cast-iron grill pan is best for this dish. Be sure to season a new cast iron pan well before using it for the first time and preheat it each time you use it. Spinach sautÃ©ed with garlic is an excellent side dish for this recipe.
2 tuna steaks, 6 ounces each, about 1 inch thick
2 teaspoons quality extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium ripe tomato, finely diced
6 green olives, pitted and chopped
1 tablespoon scallions, chopped
2 teaspoons capers
1 clove garlic, mashed
Pinch of dried whole oregano
1. Rinse the tuna steaks under cold water and pat dry. Brush them with 1 teaspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat grill or broiler. Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Grill or broil the steaks on high heat, about 2-3 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
4. Top the tuna steaks with the tomato-olive mixture.
9 g total fat (1 g sat)
76 mg cholesterol
4 g carbohydrate
40 g protein
1 g fiber
450 mg sodium
- Recipe reprinted with permission of DrWeil.com