Mediterranean Tuna Steaks
The Mediterranean flavors of the colorful topping in this recipe are a perfect complement to the flavor and firm texture of the fish. A cast-iron grill pan is best for this dish. Be sure to season a new cast iron pan well before using it for the first time and preheat it each time you use it. Spinach sautéed with garlic is an excellent side dish for this recipe.
2 tuna steaks, 6 ounces each, about 1 inch thick
2 teaspoons quality extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium ripe tomato, finely diced
6 green olives, pitted and chopped
1 tablespoon scallions, chopped
2 teaspoons capers
1 clove garlic, mashed
Pinch of dried whole oregano
1. Rinse the tuna steaks under cold water and pat dry. Brush them with 1 teaspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat grill or broiler. Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Grill or broil the steaks on high heat, about 2-3 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
4. Top the tuna steaks with the tomato-olive mixture.
9 g total fat (1 g sat)
76 mg cholesterol
4 g carbohydrate
40 g protein
1 g fiber
450 mg sodium
- Recipe reprinted with permission of DrWeil.com