July 17, 2012

Dinner - Eggplant (and squash & zucchini) Parmesan


Slow Cooker Eggplant Parm 

Eggplant parmesan recipe for crockpot, made in layers with marinara sauce and cheese. 
Cook Time: 5 hours | Total Time: 5 hours

Ingredients:
4 medium to large eggplant, peeled
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs (add more if needed, I did!)
2 cup Parmesan cheese
32 ounces marinara sauce
16 ounces Mozzarella cheese, sliced
olive oil, extra virgin

Preparation:
Cut eggplant in 1/2-inch slices; place in bowl in layers, sprinkling each layer with salt. Let stand 30 minutes to drain excess moisture; dry on paper towels. Mix egg with 1/3 cup water and flour. Dip eggplant slices in batter, letting excess drip off. Sauté eggplant, a few slices at a time, quickly in hot olive oil in a skillet. Combine seasoned bread crumbs with the Parmesan cheese. In crockpot, layer one-fourth of the eggplant, top with 1/4 of the crumbs, 1/4 of the marinara sauce and 1/4 of the Mozzarella cheese. Repeat to make four layers of eggplant, crumbs, sauce and mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.

MY NOTES:
I made this tonight. Took me a LONG time to fry all the veggies, but it will be worth it! I took my time and did it right.
I had only one large eggplant and I added 1 each large squash and zucchini, added a teaspoon or so of oregano to the egg mix, used as much cheese as I wanted, and added a good sprinkle of parsley on top 30 minutes before it's done. Smells awesome & it tastes so goooood! :)


No comments: