January 06, 2009

Sausage / Spinach Bread

Sausage / Spinach Bread
Submitted by: DCSA67 Serves 9
This is a family tradition on the Italian side of the family. Spinach, broccoli, spinach & sausage, pepperoni & cheese breads -- you name it, and they've made it. On holidays and at Sunday get-togethers, you were bound to see one if not more of these breads.

For me, this recipe has never been a problem, I watched family members make it growing up and then just jumped in to help and eventually made it myself. Although I make all the breads, spinach & sasauge is my favorite. I do vary in the seasonings I use, but this is the basic recipe. ENJOY!! I know we do...

Ingredients:
1 lb Italian sausage (buy without casings or remove from casings)
1 lb package frozen spinach
1 small onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
4 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
salt and pepper
1 lb pizza dough

Directions:
In a medium skillet, fry sausage and onions together (adding salt and pepper for taste).

In a separate pan, cook frozen spinach (add salt and pepper for taste) and drain.

Mix sausage and spinach together.

Roll pizza dough out.

Spread sausage and spinach mixture, cheeses and parsley onto dough. Roll, jelly roll style, on the long side.

Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.

No comments: