January 06, 2009

Christmas Creme Wafers

Christmas Creme Wafers

Old Christmas Crowd Pleaser - The Best Christmas Creme Wafer


Submitted by: ferocitas195 Serves 12
My earliest happy Christmas memory is my mom, my sisters and I making these cookies. Rolling the dough to just the right thinness, then pretending to be scandalized when my teetotaling mother brought out the shot glass as a cookie cutter. Then the arguing over who was going to have to watch the wafers so they didn't brown. Lastly, my mother's exasperation as her daughters would beg to use colors other than the usual red and green Christmas colors for the wafer filling. Losing the argument every year didn't deter us. As soon as my mother's back was turned, we were mixing colors that ended up purple. My mother let us eat those wafers. Sadly, I have not made these cookies since the death of my older sister, but I cherish the memory every year.

Ingredients:
Wafers:
2 cups sifted flour
1/3 cup half and half
1 cup soft butter
sugar

Filling:
1/4 cup soft butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
food coloring



Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Mix wafer ingredients together until dough forms. Cover bowl and chill for an hour.

Roll out one third of the dough on lightly powdered surface - to 1/8 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter and place on cookie sheet (We used the wide end of a regular shot glass, which seems to be the perfect size).

Sprinkle sugar over each wafer, then prick 4 times with a fork. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes. Pull wafers out of oven as soon as you see any wafer starting to brown. Repeat until all dough is used. Set aside.

Mix together butter, egg yolk and powdered sugar. Add vanilla. Stir until completely mixed. Divide filling into two bowls. And food coloring to each bowl until desired color is reached.

Add filling between two wafers. Note: here is where you bring in the kids and let them put the wafers together.

No comments: