Chicken Bog.... A Southern Family Recipe
Submitted by: LucasMB Serves 10
Unless you grew up in the South, you probably have no idea what Chicken Bog is, but it is truly our family's favorite meal!! Chicken Bog is a mixture of rice, chicken, and sausage (usually hot and spicy)! This recipe has been handed down in my family from generation to generation. From what my grandmother told me, the recipe originated on the rice plantations many generations back. They say the chicken (when prepared), gets bogged into the rice and that's where its name comes from!
* 6 cups water
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 1 large onion (chopped)
* 1 whole chicken or 6 chicken breasts
* 2 cups long-grain white rice (not instant)
* 1 package hot sausage (sliced into chunky pieces)
* 1 package mild sausage (sliced into chunky pieces)
* 4 cubes chicken bouillon
1. In a large pot, boil the chicken, onion, spices, and the bouillon until the chicken is very tender.
2. Remove the chicken from the broth to cool. Debone the chicken and cut into chunks. (We usually just use boneless chicken breasts.)
3. Brown the sausages in a large skillet.
4. Measure 4 cups broth, then add the rice, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover. Stir occassionally until the rice is fully cooked and all of the liquid is gone.
(If you really want to spice the dish up, top with Texas Pete Hot Sauce.)