January 06, 2009

My Famous Meatloaf

My Famous Meatloaf
Submitted by: kake Serves 12
This is my grandmother's recipe, doctored-up. This is also one of the first receipes I made for my husband before we married. Now it is his and his family's favorite. My son's boss tried it as a sandwich, (at a diner that my husband's niece was managing). Later his boss was trying to explain the taste, and my son told him, "You can stop right there -- I've been eating that meatloaf all my life!"

Ingredients:
3 pounds ground chuck
1 pound ground sausage
1 onion - chopped
1 green pepper - chopped
4 eggs
1/4 C catsup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 package saltines - crushed
2 tsp steak spice
1/4 tsp basil
1 tsp tarragon - crushed
1/2 tsp rosemary - crushed
1 tsp thyme leaves
1 tsp paprika
3 cloves garlic - minced

The herbs are dried, and I use a motar & pestil to crush the herbs.


Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Press together and place in an oblong baking pan. Shape into loaf. Pour 1/4 in. of water in the bottom of the pan to keep meatloaf from burning. Spread a 1/4 in. layer of catsup on top of loaf (don't worry it is supposed to be dark in spots).

Bake at 350F for 1 hour, cut in half, separate and bake an additional 1/2 hour.

Hope you enjoy it as much as our family does!

No comments: