Traditional patÃs are often made from high-fat meats and liver. They can be delicious and quite elegant, but less than nutritious. This vegetarian version is elegant, filled with flavor, and nutritious. Enjoy it on a special occasion or as an everyday spread with whole grain crackers.
1 large eggplant
1 cup walnut pieces
2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, peeled, grated, and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 tablespoon quality extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Salt and hot pepper sauce to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Pierce the eggplant with a fork in several places and bake until very soft, about 45 minutes.
2. While the eggplant is baking, grind the walnuts in a food processor until very fine, and set aside.
3. Remove the eggplant from oven, slash to let steam escape, drain off any liquid, and scrape the pulp into a food processor with the gingerroot, garlic, and olive oil. Process until smooth.
4. Add the ground walnuts and allspice, and process until smooth.
5. Season to taste with the salt and hot pepper sauce. Spoon into a small loaf dish and chill several hours or until firm.
8 g total fat (1 g sat)
0 mg cholesterol
6 g carbohydrate
2 g protein
2 g fiber
150 mg sodium
- Recipe reprinted with permission of DrWeil.com.