January 06, 2009

Cajun Dirty Rice

Cajun Dirty Rice
Submitted by: missie07 Serves 6
I come from a Cajun French family, both on my mom's side and my dad's side. Dirty rice is pretty much a staple at all of our get-togethers. Most dirty rice recipes include chicken liver as one of the main ingredients. My dad didn't like it with the liver, however, and he created his own variation, which happens to be my favorite. He taught me how to make it when I was a teenager and I still make it today. It is always a hit wherever I bring it.

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb roll breakfast sausage
1-1/2 to 2 cups rice (more rice decreases moisture)
1/2 c green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c celery, chopped
1/2 c onion, chopped
4-5 green onions, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
crushed red pepper to taste (depending on your spice tolerance)

Directions:
Cook rice.

In a large skillet, brown ground beef, sausage, bell pepper, celery, onion and green onion.

Drain off fat.

Add seasonings and rice to skillet mixture. Mix well and enjoy!

No comments: